Twenty Five facts about me
Ben tagged me on his blog so I thought I'd continue his '7 things' meme.
However, I've changed it to 25 things instead as my wife tagged me on Facebook with a similar meme so I'm killing two birds with one stone!
- I moved to Guyana, South America for two years when I was 6 years old and was there when the Jonestown suicide took place. I lived across the road from Clive Lloyd the famous cricketer. Our house was once burgled by the very guard we paid to protect it.
- I went to an American school whilst in Guyana, it finished around 12.30 every day so my brother and I hung out in the pool every day. I learned to swim underwater and could hold my breath for over two minutes.
- I have a degree in Fine Art, a BA (Hons) Time Based Art from Dundee University to be specific.
- I have both an HNC and HND in Graphic Design too.
- I have been skateboarding since 1985, but I also rode BMX for a few years before that, I still own a BMX now and still ride it at the skatepark every so often. I can still bust out a miami hopper and many other old school BMX flatland tricks.
- I was Scottish Mini-ramp skateboard champion in the mid-90's.
- My hair has been blue, orange and red over the years, also green but that wasn't really on purpose.
- I don't have much hair nowadays and shave my head frequently, but I bet I spend a lot less time getting ready in the morning than most people reading this!
- My Dad has lived overseas most of my life which has meant I was fortunate to spend a lot of holidays in my teenage years in Dubai in the UAE.
- I used to go running in the desert with a running club in Dubai and once ran a half-marathon at night and finished in the top five. Now those same places I ran in are literally fields of green grass having been made into one of Dubai's several world class golf courses.
- I was a member of both the British Airways Junior Jet Club and British Caledonian Lion Club, and frequently visited the pilots in the cockpit to say hi.
- I have been to Australia four times, and have been swimming with manta rays there two times.
- I've been working for myself / running my own business since 1998. (www.wideopenspace.co.uk)
- I would love to fly as a passenger in some kind of fighter jet.
- I once went gliding in an old open cockpit World War 2 era glider in Wales which was awesome.
- I am an Apple Mac geek and have been since I first used one in 1989. I have some old Macs that I collect, in particular an Apple IIe and an SE30. I have a few more hiding in cupboards in my house.
- I once met the band Kajagoogoo in Gatwick airport and got their autographs.
- I'm not a fan of the 80's and especially don't like the recent 80's pop fashion revival / nostalgia. It's one of the main reasons I dislike the London 2012 Olympics branding.
- The first CDs I ever bought were by Stiff Little Fingers and The Fall.
- I like lot's of different kinds of music but dislike 'rock' bands like Def Leppard, Europe etc, again, kind of a dislike of the 80's!
- I've always preferred American punk music much more than British punk music.
- I'm 36 years old and have had a provisional driver's licence since I was 17. I've also owned a car for over two years. Maybe this year I'll get round to learning to drive.
- I don't play any instruments although I did own a bass guitar once and attempted to learn. Sometimes I wish I could play something.
- Having graduated from Art College over 10 years ago I'm fortunate to be doing a creative job doing web / graphic design and development. However, I would still like to make some artwork and exhibit some work, in particular one video / sculptural installation idea I had 10 years ago. Current technology would make it so much easier to do now.
- In my home I am surrounded by three females, my wife Annie and my two awesome daughters; Natalie aged 6 and Gabriella aged 1. My wife would probably point out here that Gabriella's name has nothing to do with High School Musical, even though Natalie loves those movies.
Originally published on 2009-02-17 18:11:39 by Rick Curran
Last edited on 2009-02-17 18:22:56 by Rick Curran
Left by Graeme Sutherland on 2009-02-18 01:30:50 #
So we've been friends for how long?! - but there are a good few revelations in there for me too :o)
I'm curious about the events leading up to the green hair.
Does number 26 involve Dr Pepper?